My Brutally Honest Review Of Harry Potter And The Cursed Child Script Edition by J.K Rowling, John Tiffany, Jack Thorne


Finally, I writing again after so loooooong because the reality is reality. Take your whole time, and you don't have a time to writing again...


Do you remember with a lil boy who use glasses and has a scar in his forehead (looks like lightning bolt)?

   
OR


Do you remember with a lil girl who spell "Wingardium Leviosa" and "Lacarnum Inflamari" ?




Yap, Today i'll review about Harry Potter 8 (Harry Potter and The Cursed Child - Parts one and two)






The Eighth Story. Nineteen Years Later.

Based on an original new story by J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne and John Tiffany, a new play by Jack Thorne, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is the eighth story in the Harry Potter series and the first official Harry Potter story to be presented on stage. The play will receive its world premiere in London’s West End on July 30, 2016.


The novel’s controversial epilogue reached 19 years into Harry’s future, where Harry is Minister for Magical Law Enforcement, Hermione is Minister for Magic, and peace has reigned since the defeat of Voldemort at the Battle of Hogwarts. More important, we get to see Harry as a father — and his teenage son Albus’s efforts to cope with the suffocating expectations that come with having a famous father. “Harry Potter and the Cursed Child” is about the journey Albus takes while growing up, and the roles he and his best friend, Scorpius (Draco Malfoy’s son).


While Harry grapples with a past that refuses to stay where it belongs, his youngest son Albus must struggle with the weight of a family legacy he never wanted. As past and present fuse ominously, both father and son learn the uncomfortable truth: sometimes, darkness comes from unexpected places.


                                                                                     REVIEW


Let me start by saying this, I love harry potter. I read the books 2-3 times per year since I was a child. I've grown up with these books. So I was super excited when I found out that there would be a new story about my favourite wizard Harry! As soon as I found out I bought it, and when it arrived I read through it in a couple of hours. Unfortunately, it wasn't anything I'd expected. The story was uninspired and not really surprising. It quite noticable that this wasn't written by JK.


THIS IS A SCRIPT WRITTEN BY SOMEONE NOT NAMED J.K. ROWLING, BASED ON AN ORIGINAL STORY BY J.K. ROWLING. 

Characters don't feel like their old selves (what the hell happened to all characters ?), the dialogue is more than confusing at times, and it really didn't feel like another Hogwarts story. A true, original Hogwarts story. Instead, it felt like fan-fiction. I believe a lot of people have said that, and i think it's true.


I don't hate the story, I quite like the story. The overall plot was interesting concept but seemingly poorly executed ! Honestly, some of it was so much fun. Parts made me cry and laugh but also had moments where I scratched my head, questioned a lot, and even laughed out loud (NOT IN GOOD WAY). Obviously it was a unique experience reading it as a script and I think it lost a LOT. Less atmosphere, less dialogue, less development. WHY ? It because You lose so much when you're not reading reactions, nuances, and tone of voice. Some of that is included but the atmosphere is greatly lost because of the format. I also didn't think the characters were well-representated.



I mean, obviously this was specifically adapted for a play and that's how they wanted to tell this story.  But I wish it had been developed into an actual book instead of just giving us the rehearsal script. There was so much more of this story to tell! Everything felt really rushed and I would have rather had a simpler plot with more development instead of bursting from scene to scene. There was no time to really absorb anything and that also left very little room for character development. I don't care if we already know the majority of these characters - they still need to have a personality.



It just because they're so much older, they didn't represented well? But a lot of them felt far off from their younger counter-parts. OK, First problem is that we know Hermione Granger is one of the brightest characters of the original books, They really made her seem terribly dumb as an adult. Why? In Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows, Hermione, with the help of Ron and Harry, break into the Ministry of Magic. Now, as Minister for Magic, is Hermione really daft enough to let security be dogmatic since her teenage years? That two 14 year olds, 22 years later, can break into the government building, with the same potion, and break into her office with a first year spell, “Alohomora.” Hermione was a stronger personality, as she usually is, but I feel like she lost a lot of her logic and wisdom. How do you LOSE wisdom over the years?



I hated that Ron came off the way he did. He looks completely idiot and buffoon who only interrupts serious conversations to throw incredibly stupid and unnecessary comments.



Ginny had no personality but I guess there is just so much you can do in such a short play. Ginny was a total movie Ginny, not book Ginny.



Harry was portrayed a bit dumb and I didn´t feel that the argument had scalated enough for him to shout those things to his kid and the way he talked to McGonagall was simply out of character. We are missing a certain style I believe (a young Harry by JK), Harry is always presented, a humble and sweet boy surrounded by all kinds of harm. In this story I don´t sense that around Albus, the main character we could say, he´s a whiny teenager that needs more attention from his parents and he doesn´t have a legitimate reason to start this madness. 



I liked the way Draco changed, he is now suddenly a kindhearted. I guess Rowling finally gave us what were asking for as a sort of fan service. She finally unearthed the real Draco, his better side. I love reading about him as a father to Scorpius and how he loves his family unlike his own father. I was such in an emotional stress while reading about the tragedies he had to face regarding his family life. He's being a good father than harry (I think). Just ! the only thing I didn´t like about him was regarding to the story and what an utter stupidity was to only confess that his father had a perfect time-turner at the very last moment. A really idiotic way of solving their problems, honestly, it felt like ending a novel by making the main character wake up from a dream.



Professor McGonagal just stands there and says nothing when Harry insults her and makes a comment about her not having children. (Are you sure ? Where is ur attitude, Harry? -- Me*)



Another plots that i didn't like it . TIME TURNERS ?????

I'm an realisctic reader. I need to be consumed by a book to fully enjoy it, and that means I need to be able to believe what I'm reading is the truth ..... BUT..... Time travel destroys the possibility of believing anything. Used time turners was madness, it made no sense why they rushed to the past without a good plan or knowledge of time turners and somehow ended correctly, and no explanation is given as for why they return so quickly, if they need to be touching the time turner to go back.... Although, I have to admit that I liked the travelling time theory used, the fixed time theory in the third book can easily be included in there, I mean, the changes made in The Prisoner of Azkaban were so small that their present hadn´t changed noticeably (they only went back a few hours). If they had gone back years, like in the play, I can accept that their present world could have been different, which is what happenned to Albus and Scorpius.

 

There are one things that i cant accept is when Cedric Diggory becoming a Death Eater, because he was humiliated. WOW ! IT'S RIDICULOUS! Sorry but, Cedric was such a kind, honorable, stand up guy, in the series. This is a man, who would sacrifice winning the tournament, because he thought Harry deserved it more. This is a guy, who wanted a Quidditch rematch, because he didn't think it was fair, that they won since Harry fell off his broom. This is a guy, which no one really had any bad thing to say about.  So would he have become a death eater, going murdering Neville Longbottom, because he was humiliated, once? No! I don't think it is completely unbelieable that he could have become a death eater somehow, but it would definitely have taken something way worse, and something bigger to make him that way.



VOLDEMORT HAS A CHILD !!!!

What do you think of this ? Ha Ha Ha (LOL). I'm not convinced he was physically able. . 


As much as I disagreed with the story, there were elements that I LIKED. The introduction a new characters (SCORPIUS)  was probably the best part of this book and.... Albus Potter being sorted into Slytherin opened the door to great idea. Being friends with Scorpius Malfoy, Draco Malfoy’s son, is another great addition to the story, it really shows that time had changed and old childish feuds are gone. Amazing ideas for the new Harry Potter. Overall, the friendship between Slytherins, Albus and Scorpius, is awesome and it really well transitioned the story from books to play. I liked the idea of how the past can affect the present and how little moments can change the course of the future.


Overall, I enjoyed reading it ! Yes, I know the plot is a bit absurd and scattered all over the place. It also felt like reading a whole bunch of fan fiction put together. Maybe I'm just too happy about having to live through another Harry Potter book. Maybe it's the child in me, or whatever. The thing is, reading it made me want to watch the play so bad. Like, I want to see how they're going to produce the effects and transitions. The only thing bothering me at the end of their adventure is that finally having an instrument that could fix past mistakes they don´t think it wise to use it, even if they can do it again and again if they fail.



2 comments